Italy

Venice route in 1 day

Venice is an amazing, unique, magical city, worthy of long acquaintance and close attention. If you come here for only 1 day, then I have a ready-made route for you - a blitz trip to the sights that a tourist should see.

Venice in 1 day, photo by maria antonia juan de la cruz jimenez

Everyone dreams of seeing Venice at least once in their life. This is the birthplace of Vivaldi, Casanova, Marco Polo. It would be exciting to ride a gondola through the canals, walk through the narrow city streets, enjoy luxurious architecture.

But you cannot embrace the immensity. Therefore, I developed for you a route around Venice for 1 day, where I collected the most significant sights of the city.

Venice Santa Lucia Station

Slavyanskaya Embankment

Ponte del Vin Bridge

Palazzo Dandolo

Church of La Pieta

Monument to Victor Emmanuel II

Pallazzo delle Pridgioni

Bridge of Sighs

Doge's Palace

Piazzetta San Marco

Marciana Library

St. Mark's Square

Loggetta

Bell tower of san marco

New Prosecutions

Old Prosecution

Cafe Florian

City Museum of Correra

Clock tower

St. Mark's Cathedral

Patriarchal Palace

Mercury

Church of san giuliano

Church of St. Mary the Beautiful

Palazzo Vitturi

Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo

Scuola San Marco

Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli

Church of san canciano

Church of San Giovanni Crizostomo

Gelateria Grom

Palace of Fondaco dei Tedeschi

Church of San Bartolomeo

Church of san salvador

Rialto Bridge

Church of San Giacomo di Rialto

Hunchback Rialto

Rialto Market

Al mercà

Fish market

Restaurant Poste Vecie

Church of St. Apollinaris

Church of san polo

Church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

Church of San Rocco

Scuola Grande di San Rocco

Restaurant Estro

Church of San Pantalon

Santa Margherita Square

Osteria Ai Carmini Di Biasotto Daniele

Church of San Barnaba

Academy Gallery

Peggy Guggenheim Collection

Santa Maria della Salute

Old customs

Tragetto stop Calle Lanza

Santa Lucia Station

Santa Lucia Station and Vaporetto Marinas, photo by Gasser Markus

Typically, tourists come to Venice for 1 day by train to the Santa Lucia station (Venezia Santa Lucia), which was built right at the Grand Canal. Before leaving the station, there is the Ferrovia Ferry Terminal near the Ponte degli Scalzi Bridge. We get to the main square, the legendary San Marco, at the vaporetto No. 1 (45 min.) Or No. 2 (25 min.). This is a public water transport familiar to the Venetians - passenger block motor ships with a closed cabin. On the old Grand Canal, indefatigable vessels will take you to the pier S.Marco S. Zaccaria. From the station in the direction of Piazza San Marco, river trams-vaporetto depart every 10 minutes.

A single ticket costs € 7.50 and is valid 75 minutes from the moment of composting; for 1 day (24 hours) - € 20.00. Tickets are sold at berths, at special ticket offices and vending machines, newsagents and tobacco shops, or on board a vaporetto.

Slavyanskaya Embankment

Slavic embankment (Riva degli Schiavoni), photo by klausbergheimer

When you get off at S. Zaccaria stop, you find yourself on the Slavyanskaya embankment (Riva degli Schiavoni) - the main city promenade, in front of you will be the Palazzo Dandolo. Along the Riva degli Schiavoni are luxurious hotels, shops, souvenir shops. The spectacular wide street stretches for 850 m. The construction of the embankment was completed in the XIX century. Take a walk on it.

Palazzo Dandolo

Palazzo Dandolo, photo by Simone Sampo '

The Palazzo Dandolo was built in the 14th century for the Doge family Dandolo. Since 1822, after a radical restoration, the new owner opened a hotel there - Hotel Danieli. At the turn of the century, it was completely modernized. In the middle of the 20th century, neighboring houses were demolished, the complex was significantly expanded. The latest update to the fashionable Danieli is the marble façade by Virginia Vallota.

We walk a little to the right, bypassing the Wine Bridge, to see the church of La Pieta and the monument to Victor Emmanuel II. Then we will return to the Palazzo Dandolo and continue our route.

Ponte del Vin Bridge

Ponte del Vin, photo by Roland Salomon

Ponte del Vin is a single-arch stone bridge over the narrow Wine Channel (Rio del Vin). The length of the upper platform of the bridge is about 5 m, the width of the structure is 9.67 m; the height of the arch passage is 2.37 m. Ten steps from the north side lead to the upper platform, twelve from the south side; the stairs are fenced with a white stone balustrade. At the Ponte del Vin bridge, boats of wine merchants used to sail along the Rio del Vin. Now, gondolas run along the canal towards San Marco Bay.

Church of La Pieta

Church of Santa Maria della Pietá, photo by Martin Feranec

The church of Santa Maria della Pietá is known throughout Italy for the performances of the choir of pupils of the orphanage for girls - Ospedale della Pieta, in which the composer Antonio Vivaldi served in the XVIII century. Therefore, Chiesa della Pietà is also called the Vivaldi Church.

Monument to Victor Emmanuel II

Monument to Victor Emmanuel II (Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II), photo Pedro Landín

The equestrian monument to Victor Emmanuel II (Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II), the first king of united Italy, has been standing on the Slavyanskaya embankment since 1887. It was erected to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the death of the king.

Palazzo Prigioni

Palazzo delle Prigioni, photo by Valery Toth

The Palazzo delle Prigioni (Palazzo delle Prigioni; literal translation "Palace of Prisoners") was built in 1598 and was used as the prison premises of the Doge's Palace. Today, the Palazzo delle Prigioni is a concert venue.

Bridge of Sighs

Bridge of Sighs (Ponte dei Sospiri), photo by Vinicius Teles Pires

The Bridge of Sighs, the elegant Ponte dei Sospiri is a stone baroque gallery connecting the shores of the Palace Canal. The white limestone structure was built by the architect Antonio Conti. Ponte dei Sospiri connects the Doge's Palace with the infamous Palazzo delle Prigioni, the building of the New Prison. The Bridge of Sighs is a closed, almost dull building with small barred windows. This design is not accidental: once prisoners walked through the gallery from the courtroom.

Doge's Palace

Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale), photo by José Gómez Checa

Further on our way, Doge's Palace, the luxurious Palazzo Ducale - the main Venetian museum, a masterpiece of late Gothic architecture. The building of the XV century with openwork two-tier balustrade. Inside the complex is a closed courtyard, the Golden Staircase, and behind it are the Main Halls, where canvases of eminent Venetian artists are exhibited. In the Armory Halls - a collection of armor, small arms and cold steel. On the walls of the hall of the Great Council are grandiose historical canvases.

Slavic embankment continues along the Grand Canal, and we go to the small Piazzetta San Marco.

Piazzetta San Marco

Piazzetta (Piazzetta San Marco), photo by Vladas Portapas

Piazzetta (Piazzetta San Marco) - a small space between the Grand Canal and Campanila, adjacent to San Marco. This small square facing the embankment is famous for two captured stone columns that have been standing here since the 12th century. Column of St. Mark (Colonne di San Marco) ends with a powerful carved capital with a statue of a winged lion. A granite pillar is set at the eastern tip of the Piazzetta San Marco. On the western side of the piazzetta is the Column of San Teodoro (Colonne di San Todaro) with a white marble sculpture of the saint - the knight Theodore Tyrone, especially revered by the Venetians.

Marciana Library

Marciana, photo by Marina Bobrovskaya

The library of St. Mark (Biblioteca di San Marco) is simply called here - Marciana (Marciana). It is considered the largest in Venice. The National Book Fund contains about 27 thousand ancient volumes, 13 thousand manuscripts. The Marchiana building (16th century) in the Renaissance style was built by Sansovino and Scamozzi; Salviati, Veronese, Meldolla worked on the interiors of the library.

And finally, in front of us - Piazza San Marco. This is the main square of Venice and the only one that the residents themselves call piazza - the square. They call all other squares campo - a field, or campiello - a small field. We go around the area clockwise.

St. Mark's Square

St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco), photo by Michael Schuerr

St. Mark's Square is the center of historical and cultural values ​​of Venice, the center of its tourist life. The wide space of Piazza San Marco, paved with light and dark paving stones, expands towards the cathedral, forming a trapezoid. The architectural ensemble is dominated by the Cathedral of San Marco with its massive silver domes, which gave the square its name. The north and south sides are framed by the buildings of the Prosecutor's Office - the Old and New, and the Outbuilding of Napoleon. The tallest structure is Campanila. Today it is forbidden to feed pigeons on the square.

Loggetta

Loggetta, photo by Maria Schnitzmeier

Loggetta stands in the square next to Campanila. An elegant arched structure of pink and white marble, reminiscent of a classical triumphal arch in structure, was erected in 1537-47. The terrace appeared only in 1663. The upper tier is decorated with mythological bas-reliefs, bronze sculptures are installed at the portals.

Campanile of St. Mark's Cathedral

Campanile of St. Mark's Cathedral (Campanile di San Marco), photo by Colin Reader

Campanile di San Marco Campanile di San Marco - the famous Venetian Campanile - rises opposite the Cathedral. The building has existed since the 9th century, was rebuilt several times, was completely reconstructed in 1912 after the collapse. Architects of the 20th century restored the renaissance appearance, the pyramidal dome, bells. The height of the Campanile is about 98.6 m. At the top there is an observation deck overlooking Venice.

Prosecution Buildings

Old Prosecutions, photo by chris.eke

The buildings of the Prosecutor's Office are part of the ensemble of the main Venetian square. Old Procuraties (Procuratie Vecchie) were built in the 12th century on the north side of Piazza San Marco to house the offices and apartments of prosecutors. After the fire, the building was restored in 1517 according to the project of Mauro Coducci. This is a three-level building with a 152-meter-long facade, an arcade gallery below, two tiers of openwork arched loggias and a chain of elegant roof pinnacles.

Cafe Florian, photo by Benzie Tsai

The construction of the New Procuraties (Procuratie Nuove) was started opposite the Old Prosecutions in the 16th century under the supervision of Vincenzo Scamozzi and completed after his death by the architect Baldassare Longen in 1640. They look like a mirror image of the Old Ones, but there are no pinnacles on their roof. The New Procuratia has opened the oldest cafe in Italy, Florian (Caffé Florian).

Outbuilding of Napoleon, photo by Honza Beran

Both Prosecutions are united by the Napoleon Wing (L'Ala Napoleonica) (19th century), where the Correra City Museum (Museo Correr) is located.

Clock tower

St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio), photo by vamsee krishna

St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio - Torre dell'Oroolgio) - the first renaissance building of the ensemble of the main square (1496-99). Side wings were completed only in the XVIII century. The clockwork was made by famous Ranieri craftsmen, father and son. The device of the round clock that we see on the facade of the Torre dell'orologio has not changed since its installation: it shows time, zodiac signs, moon phases. The bells on the tower beat every hour, and at 12:00 and at midnight a melody of 132 beats sounds.

St. Mark's Cathedral

Basilica of Saint Mark (Basilica di San Marco), photo by Dennis Schulze

St. Mark's Cathedral is a monumental temple, a striking example of Byzantine architecture on Italian soil. Since 1063, Basilica di San Marco stands on the site of a 9th-century shrine destroyed by fire. This temple has become a symbol and religious stronghold of the Republic of Venice. The huge five-domed Cathedral was built and expanded for five centuries. Today it is an active temple, an international pilgrimage site. Inside the cathedral there are many treasures, among them - the Pala d'Oro, a luxurious Golden Altar, decorated with enamel miniatures, decorated with thousands of precious stones.

Patriarchal Palace

Venice Palace (Palazzo Patriarcale), photo by Dimitris Kamaras

The Patriarchal Palace of Venice (Palazzo Patriarcale) is located behind the cathedral and Clock Tower; its elegant white-stone facade overlooks a small square - Piazzetta dei Leoncini. This is the official residence of the Venetian archdiocese, built in 1870 according to the project of Lorenzo Santi. Here is the Tintoretto Hall with a series of frescoes from the life of St. Catherine of Alexandria.

We leave St. Mark's Square and plunge into the streets of Venice. We pass under the arch in the Clock Tower and find ourselves in the area of ​​Mercury, this is the main trading artery of the city.

Mercury

Mercerie by hotelresidenceilteatro.com

Mercerie (Mercerie) - a district of ancient shopping streets from St. Mark's Square to the Rialto Bridge. The first floors of these houses are occupied by shops, boutiques, shops of Venetian souvenirs and applied products. At Mercerie you can buy both antiques, antique rarities and all kinds of rarities, as well as quite modern designer items, whether they are jewelry, furs, shoes, clothes, hats, gloves or Murano glass products.

Admiring the ancient architecture and shop windows, we reach the Church of St. Julian.

Church of san giuliano

Basilica of San Zulian (Chiesa di San Zulian), photo Dan

Church of San Giuliano (Chiesa di San Zulian - Basilica of San Zulian) is a medieval church of the 9th century, reconstructed in 1570 in the Venetian classical style according to the design of Sansovino. In the sarcophagus under the main altar lie the relics of St. Julian, transported from Dalmatia. The interior has preserved the works of Paolo Veronese, Palma di Giovanni, Fyamingo; the polyptych of the life of St. Julian by Faenza.

By Campo de la Guerra we reach the canal of San Giuliano, cross it. Along Calle Bande Castello, we get to the Ponte de la Bande bridge. So we got to the church of Santa Maria Formosa.

Church of St. Mary the Beautiful

Church of Santa Maria Formosa, photo by Silas Lozano Paz

Church of St. Mary the Beautiful (Chiesa Santa Maria Formosa) is located in the Castello area on the small square of Santa Maria Formosa (Campo Santa Maria Formosa). The baroque temple with a high bell tower was built in 1492 on the site of an older church. Inside the basilica is a complex structure with multiple chapels, an altar in the style of a triumphal arch. The decoration preserved the polytype of Giacomo Palma the Elder "Saint Barbara" and the cycle "Madonna Misercordia" Vivarini (XV century).

Near the church stands an old building - the Witturi Palace.

Palazzo Vitturi

Hotel Palazzo Vitturi, photo by Didier Descouens

The Palazzo Vitturi is a palace hotel on the Campo Santa Maria Formosa. The building of the 13th century was built in the spirit of Gothic Veneto-Byzantine architecture with lancet windows, metal bas-reliefs, frescoes. Balustrades and a mezzanine appeared during the late renovations, the Vitturi Palace is well preserved: now the luxurious hotel complex Hotel Palazzo Vitturi is open there.

We continue our route. The next point is the Cathedral of Santi Giovanni e Paolo. From the Palazzo Vitturi we go left to Calle Lunga Santa Maria Formosa. From it, turn left onto Calle Trevisana o Cicogna, which goes into Calle Bressana. We leave on Campo San Giovanni e Paolo.

Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo

Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo), photo Didier Descouens

The Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo) is a magnificent cathedral built in 1430. He became the tomb for eighteen Doges Veneto. This is a classic example of Italian brick Gothic. The most striking masterpiece of the decoration of the basilica is the sculptural monument dedicated to the influential doge Pietro Mocenigo - the work of Pietro Lombardo. The picturesque decoration of the temple preserved paintings by Bellini and Veronese. The central altar of Longen's work is considered an example of Venetian applied art.

Scuola San Marco was built on Campo San Giovanni e Paolo next to the Cathedral.

Scuola San Marco

Scuola Grande di San Marco, photo by Sean Pellerin

The building of Scuola San Marco (Scuola Grande di San Marco) was built by the brotherhood of St. Mark in 1260 near the Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo. After a strong fire in 1485, the building was destroyed and rebuilt in the Renaissance style with traces of early Byzantine architecture. A shelter, training rooms, a military hospital were located in the school, today - a hospital. In the Capitul Hall is an altar in the style of Sansovino. The Reception Hall has a Medical Library. On the upper floor are paintings on the life of St. Mark, painted by Vittore Carpaccio, Giovanni Bellini, Jacopo Tintoretto.

Follow the Calle Larga Giacinto Gallina; we cross the Ponte Santa Maria Nova bridge and find ourselves at the church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli.

Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli

Santa Maria dei Miracoli, photo by Silas Lozano Paz

Santa Maria dei Miracoli is an early Renaissance church, a masterpiece of architects Pietro and Tulio Lombardo. It was built in the period 1481-89. specifically to accommodate the miraculous image of the Blessed Virgin created by Nicolo di Pietro. This is an elegant building with a marble mosaic facade, carved domed lunettes. Inside the temple stands out a luxurious coffered vault of the 16th century with fifty portraits of saints and prophets.

The next church on the route is San Canciano. Back to Campo Santa Maria Nova Square. Turn left onto Campiello Santa Maria Nova and then turn right onto Campiello S. Canciano.

Church of san canciano

Church of San Canciano (Chiesa di San Canciano), photo Didier Descouens

The Church of San Canciano in the Cannaregio area is called "hidden": the path to the gates of Chiesa di San Canciano lies through a narrow lane.This is one of the oldest Venetian churches, it has existed since the 9th century, it is dedicated to the three martyrs - Canzio, Canziano, Canzianilla, who died in Aquileia. The three-nave basilica with a vaulted ceiling has acquired a modern look since the 18th century. The bell tower of San Canciano was built in 1542.

From Campiello S. Canciano we go first along Salizada San Canzian, then turn onto Salizada S. Giovanni Grisostomo. Before us is San Giovanni Crizostomo.

Church of San Giovanni Crizostomo

Church of San Giovanni Crisostomo (Chiesa di San Giovanni Crisostomo), photo Didier Descouens

The Church of San Giovanni Crisostomo (Chiesa di San Giovanni Crisostomo) is a 16th-century Renaissance building in Cannaregio, recreated on the site of a 11th-century temple. A small temple of laconic architecture with a flat arch above the choirs and a simple plastered facade. Next to the squat church is a 21-meter campanile. In one of the chapels of San Giovanni Crisostomo, the altar image painted by Giovanni Bellini - the last work of the artist.

We continue the route along Salizada S. Giovanni Grisostomo.

Gelateria Grom

Gelateria Grom

Along the way, be sure to go to the Grom gelateria (Salizada S. Giovanni Grisostomo, 5801) to enjoy delicious Italian ice cream. I advise chestnut with meringue, pistachio, yogurt, straccella with pieces of chocolate and salted caramel.

We go further along the Salizzada del Fontego dei Tedeschi; turn right onto Calle del Fontego. We will rise to the observation deck of the shopping center Fondaco dei Tedeschi and admire the city and its canals.

Palace of Fondaco dei Tedeschi

On the observation deck of the Fondaco dei Tedeschi Palace, photo by manuela massucci

Fondaco dei Tedeschi is a palace on the Grand Canal with a large courtyard. It was built in 1228, but in 1505 it burned down during a fire. It was rebuilt in 1505-1508. Today it is a shopping center with free! panoramic rooftop terrace with beautiful views of Venice. It is better to book the time for visiting the observation deck on the shopping center website. You can do this on the spot (tablets are located on the 4th floor).

We move along the Ramo del Fontego dei Tedeschi. On the busy Bombasei street, lined with shops, is the church of San Bartolomeo.

Church of San Bartolomeo

Bell tower of the church of St. Bartholomew (Chiesa di San Bartolomeo), photo by JORGE MAURICIO BERTELLI

As early as the 9th century, a temple was built on this site in honor of St. Demetrius of Solunsky. In 1170, it was rebuilt into the church of St. Bartholomew (Chiesa di San Bartolomeo). For the second time, San Bartolomeo was reconstructed in the 18th century. The bell tower was built in the years 1747-1754. After the fall of the Republic of Venice and the arrival of Napoleon, the parish of St. Bartholomew was abolished, and its territory was absorbed by the nearby church of San Salvador. One of the altars of San Bartolomeo is decorated with a picture of Palm Jr. "Punishment of snakes."

Exit to Campo S. Salvador Square, turn right and follow Merceria II Aprile to Campo San Salvador Square.

Church of san salvador

Church of San Salvador (Chiesa di San Salvador), photo by Angelo Della Ragione

The Church of San Salvador (Chiesa di San Salvador) is a beautiful baroque temple of the 16th century, designed by Baldassare Longena. Inside you can see the famous Titian paintings "The Annunciation" and "Transfiguration", "Meal at Emmaus" by Bellini.

By Calle Larga Mazzini we reach the Grand Canal, turn right and go along it to the Rialto Bridge.

Rialto Bridge

Ponte di Rialto, photo by Vladas Portapas

Ponte di Rialto - a bridge over the Grand Canal, built in 1591 on the site of an old destroyed wooden structure; one of the symbols of the city. This is a single-arch stone structure with a length of 48 m and a width of 23 m on twelve pile supports. Rialto is a pedestrian bridge-gallery, a place of walks, meetings, busy trade. Its only arch rises above the canal by 7 meters: ships can pass freely under the bridge.

Have you admired the bridge? We move on to Campo San Giacomo di Rialto, where we will see the church of San Giacomo di Rialto, Gobbo and the famous Rialto Market.

Church of San Giacomo di Rialto

San Giacomo di Rialto (Chiesa di San Giacomo di Rialto), photo Didier Descouens

Church of San Giacomo di Rialto (Chiesa di San Giacomo di Rialto) historians recognize the oldest in Venice. San Giacometo, as its residents call it, was built on Campo San Giacomo di Rialto. It was erected on the foundation of the church 421 years of construction (laid in honor of the founding of Venice), later, in the XI-XII centuries, it was rebuilt, and in 1601 it was restored. This is a Gothic brick building of Veneto-Byzantine architecture with round windows and a huge clock mounted on a bell tower above the portico. On the same square is the Rialto market: for a long time, merchants came to repent under the arches of the nearest church. On the facade of the apse of San Giacometo, under the cross, there is an inscription urging merchants to honesty.

Hunchback statue

The Hunchback Rialto (Gobbo di Rialto), photo G.dallorto

The hunchback Rialto (Gobbo di Rialto) - a sculpture created in 1541 by Pietro da Salo opposite the church. Gobbo, kneeling, holds the pedestal from which state decrees were announced. Here, the Venetians left "opposition" satire leaflets against the papal authority and the doges.

Rialto Market

Peschiera Fish Pavilion (La Pescheria), photo by Sergey Nar

The Rialto Market was founded in the 11th century. The market space is divided into two parts: the traditional Mercato di Rialto shopping arcade and the Peschiera fish pavilion (La Pescheria). Shopping malls selling vegetables, fruits, cheeses, flowers, souvenirs start right from San Giacomo di Rialto Square.

To get to the Fish Pavilion, you need to go to Campo de la Pescaria with Campo San Giacomo di Rialto and get to the end. This neo-Gothic loggia on the Grand Canal appeared since 1907: it was built specifically for the Fish Market according to the project of D. Rupolo. Opening hours of the fish pavilion: VT-SB 7:30 - 12:00.

Wine Bar Al Mercà

Al Mercà, photo by Rober y Lety Mochileando por el mundo

On the road from Piazza San Giacomo di Rialto, head to the Al Mercà wine shop (Campo Bella Vienna, 213), where you can try a very good wine from € 2.5 per glass.

Antica Trattoria Poste Vecie

Restaurant Poste Vecie, photo Poste Vecie

To appreciate the authentic atmosphere and cuisine of Venice, you should visit one of the restaurants in the city. For example, Poste Vecie (address: San Polo, 1608) is the oldest restaurant in existence since 1501. The only restaurant in Venice located on the Fish Market. Pleasant interior, typical Venetian cuisine and high quality.

Follow Campo de la Pescaria a little back and turn right onto Ruga Vecchia S. Giovanni. We move along it, then along Calle de L'ogio o de la Rugheta and turn onto Calle Sbianchesini.

Church of St. Apollinaria

Sant'Aponal (Chiesa di Sant'Aponal), photo El Guille L

The Church of St. Apollinaris, known in Venice as Sant'Aponal (Chiesa di Sant'Aponal) was built in 1034. The temple is dedicated to the first bishop of Ravenna - St. Apollinaris. The appearance of the Gothic building with a simple brick facade and elegant tent towers was preserved after the reconstruction of the 15th century.

Considering the architecture of the buildings, we pass along the streets of Calle dei Meloni, Calle dei Meloni, Calle Sottopassaggio de la Madoneta and exit onto Campo San Polo Square.

Church of san polo

Church of San Polo (Chiesa di San Polo), photo Nnvmsm Drone Studio

The church of San Polo is located in the square of the same name. The temple has existed since the 9th century, originally belonged to the Templars. The Gothic reconstruction of the building took place in the 15th century, and the modern look of the Chiesa Rettoriale di San Polo dates back to 1804: the architect D. Rossi reconstructed it in the spirit of neoclassicism. Inside, preserved paintings by Tintoretto and Veronese, altar painting by Domenico Tiepolo.

Now our way lies to the church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari. Walking along the Calle dei Saoneri, we exit to the San Polo Canal. We cross it over the Ponte San Polo bridge. Turn right onto Calle Seconda dei Saoneri, then left onto Rio Terà Cazza, right onto Fondamenta Frari and left onto Campo dei Frari.

Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (Chiesa Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari), photo Didier Descouens

Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (Chiesa Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari) is a Gothic basilica, an operating temple. It was laid in 1250, rebuilt in 1330-1443 and consecrated in honor of St. Mary the Glorious. Under the vaults of Frari, priceless works of Italian religious art are collected: paintings by Titian, Bellini, the sculptural tombstone of Antonio Canove, made according to his own project. Here are the tombs of Monteverdi and Titian.

We will go around the Cathedral along Campo dei Frari, turn right onto Salizada S. Rocco and get off at Campo San Rocco.

Church of San Rocco

Church of San Rocco (Chiesa di San Rocco), photo by Yuriy Vysotskiy

The Church of San Rocco (Chiesa di San Rocco) stands on Campo San Rocco. It was erected in the Renaissance style in 1489-1508 by Bartolomeo Bon the Younger and named after Saint Roch, who was considered the healer of the plague and the patron saint of Venice. In 1725 the temple was rebuilt. A beautiful facade with many sculptures was added in the 1760s by architect Maccaruzzi. Inside is the painting "St. Roch heals the victims of the plague" Tintoretto and 3 more of his paintings.

Nearby is the Scuola Grande di San Rocco.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco

Scuola Grande di San Rocco, photo by Zsolt Budai

Scuola Grande di San Rocco (Scuola Grande di San Rocco) - a charitable institution owned by the Brotherhood of St. Roch, which still exists. The two-story Renaissance building was built in the years 1515-49, successively, by Bartolomeo Bon, Lombardo and Scarpanino. Scuola is famous for its interiors: 54 original Tintoretto paintings on biblical themes, including the grandiose Calvary cycle, have been preserved here.

We go around Skulu along the Calle Fianco de la Scuola, turn left onto Sestiere Dorsoduro. On the corner is the enoteca and cafe Estro.

Wine Bar Estro

Estro, photo by Abhinav Shrivastava

Estro (address: Dorsoduro, 3778) - a bar with an amazing selection of biodynamic wines and meager wrap on them, excellent cuisine.

If you are a lover of homemade food and wine, then be patient. Further down the road we will have the family Osteria Ai Carmini Di Biasotto Daniele.

We leave on Calle S. Pantalon and further to the area Campo S. Pantalon.

Church of San Pantalon

Church of St. Panteleimon (Chiesa di San Pantalon), photo Didier Descouens

The church of St. Panteleimon (Chiesa di San Pantalon) in the square of San Pantalon is not amazing architectural delights. The building, erected in 1686, looks strict and modest. The treasure is kept inside: it is a huge fresco by Giovanni Antonio Fumiani on the ceiling arches. The area of ​​the painting, written in the sophisticated trompe-l'œil technique, Martyrdom and Ascension of St. Panteleimon, is 700 m². In the altar of one of the chapels, another priceless painting was preserved - "The Miracle of St. Panteleimon", created by Paolo Veronese.

We’ll cross the canal over the bridge and take Campo Santa Margherita along Calle de la Chiesa

Santa Margherita Square

Campo Santa Margherita, photo by zdenka zahradkova

Campo Santa Margherita is a spacious square near the university in the Dorsoduro quarter. It received its name in honor of the temple of Chiesa di Santa Margherita, built at its northeastern tip (today it is a university building). Near the Santa Margherita Square there are several educational institutions, therefore, young people and local residents love to gather here.

Osteria Ai Carmini Di Biasotto Daniele

Osteria Ai Carmini Di Biasotto Daniele, photo by Luigi Galantucci

Tired, I want to eat denser. Welcome to the family osteria Ai Carmini Di Biasotto Daniele (address: Sestiere Dorsoduro, 2898. Opening hours: 12: 00-15: 00, 19: 00-23: 30). The menu is excellent, the prices are average, the food is tasty and fresh, the portions are large, they cook and serve quickly! Order white homemade wine, mussels, a specialty dish with seafood, fried flowers and leaves, marinara pasta, homemade tortillas with cheese.

Having walked along the non-tourist square of St. Margarita, turn onto Rio Terà Canal, cross the Ponte dei Pugni bridge, turn left - before us is San Barnaba Square.

Church of San Barnaba

Church of St. Barnabas (Chiesa di San Barnaba), photo by Jovan Korolija

In the church of San Barnaba (Chiesa di San Barnaba) on a picturesque square of the same name, the Da Vinci Museum of Inventions is open today. The temple, founded in 809, underwent several reconstructions. Today's neoclassical appearance of San Barnaba dates back to 1776.

From Piazza San Barnaba, Calle del Pistor o del Lotto leads to the Ponte Malpaga Bridge. Further along the Calle dei Cerchieri, right onto the Calle Della Toletta, then left onto the Ponte de le Maravegie, further along the Calle Contarini Corfù to Campo della Carita.

Academy Gallery

Museum of the Academy (Gallerie dell'Accademia), photo by Svetlana Kuchumova

The Academy Gallery is an art museum, the golden fund of Venetian painting, a real treasury with works of the XIV-XVIII centuries. It has the largest collections of works by Carpaccio, Bellini. The Gallerie dell'Accademia building is located at the bridge of the same name.

Turn right from Campo della Carita to Rio Terrà Foscarini, then left onto Calle Nuova Sant'Agnese, continue along Piscina Forner, Calle della Chiesa, Fondamenta Venier dai Leon, turn left onto Calle S. Cristoforo. We are on target.

Peggy Guggenheim Collection

Collection Peggy Guggenheim (Collezione Peggy Guggenheim), photo Gio Melis

The Peggy Guggenheim collection is housed inside the small Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, built on the banks of the Canal Grande. Here are the works of Picasso, Kandinsky and Malevich, Juan Miro, Chagall, Dali. The Venetian Collezione Peggy Guggenheim is considered one of the world's most valuable collections of contemporary art.

From the museum along Campiello Barbaro and Calle Del Bastion we come to the Church of Our Lady of Healing.

Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute

Santa Maria della Salute (Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute), photo Strahinja Stanković

Santa Maria della Salute (Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute) is a snow-white baroque basilica in the Dorsoduro area. It was founded in 1631 at the insistence of the patriarch Giovanni Tiepolo, as a gift to the Virgin from the townspeople for the deliverance of Venice from the plague. It was completed by 1689, consecrated in honor of the Virgin Mary of Healing.

Having walked 200 meters along the Grand Canal, we will be at the final destination of our route.

Old customs

Old Customs (Punta della Dogana), photo by Joel

The Old Customs House (Punta della Dogana) - a baroque architectural complex with a 17th-century tower and a gilded ball crowned with a figure of Fortune - stands on a triangular island between two canals, the Bolshoi and Judecca. Built in 1677, renovated in 2006 according to the design of Tadao Ando. Today, Punta della Dogana is an art center with a collection of 2.5 thousand contemporary works.

Gondola or tragetto?

Traghetto, photo by Gerry Brague

Be in Venice and not ride a gondola? A 30-minute gondola ride costs from € 100; 6 people enter the gondola. But the watches of the gondoliers are usually in a hurry, so you will be dropped off after 20 minutes.

I recommend a ride on a traghetto. In the literal sense, it is a ferry, crossing a large gondola through the Grand Canal. The pleasure will cost only € 2 per person. There are several such crossings, you will find them according to the signs. Tragetto is controlled by 2 gondoliers, it can accommodate up to 12 people, it is customary to ride while standing, but if you are scared, you can sit down. The crossing lasts several minutes.

Look for the Calle Lanza stop about 120 meters from Santa Maria della Salute. Stop at the other end of the Grand Canal - Campo del Traghetto. There you will transfer to the vaporetto and return to the Santa Lucia station. You can do without a gondola. At Santa Maria della Salute, take the No. 1 vaporetto and go straight to the train station.

Tragetto Crossing Places

Pescaria (Fish Market) - Santa Sofia (near Ca 'd'Oro);
San Tomà - Sant'Angelo;
Fondamente S. Lucia (in front of the train station) - Fondamenta San Simeón Piccolo;
San Marcuola - Fóndaco dei Turchi (Museum of Natural History);
Riva del Carbòn - Fondamente del Vin;
San Samuele - Ca 'Rezzónico;
Campo del Traghetto - Calle Lanza (near Santa Maria della Salute).

Venice Museums Pass

Save time and money on the sights of Venice! Buy your Venice Museums Pass combo ticket. An electronic ticket will be sent by email, access to museums without a queue.

Useful food app Eat Venice.

How do I save on hotels?

Everything is very simple - look not only at the booking. I prefer the search engine RoomGuru. He is looking for discounts at the same time on Booking and on 70 other booking sites.

Watch the video: Visit Venice - 5 Vital Tips for Visiting Venice, Italy (February 2020).

Loading...

Popular Posts

Category Italy, Next Article

How to get to the sea from Rome?
How to get there

How to get to the sea from Rome?

In Rome, you have a great opportunity to combine a beach holiday with a cultural one. Today we will learn how to get to the sea from Rome. Ostia The closest city to Rome by the sea is Ostia. The Romans themselves drive cars to other beaches, but if you don't show off, then in Ostia you can also enjoy the warm Tyrrhenian Sea.
Read More